Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Conduct Unbecoming: Women and Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Article 133 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice reads:

Conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman is an offense subject to court martial defined in the punitive code of the United States Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).

The elements are

  1. That the accused did or omitted to do certain acts; and
  2. That, in the circumstances, these acts or omissions constituted conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first time I picked up Randy Shilt's book Conduct Unbecoming I was a 2nd Lieutenant stationed at Quantico, VA. I was a member of third platoon ("third herd") of Bravo Company in 2000. Occasionally I would go up to Washington DC to escape to Dupont Circle with some friends. And I remember going to Kramer's Bookstore and picking up Shilt's book.

I skimmed through the book and put it back on the shelf. I wanted to buy it, but I didn't. Later, I did buy the book, but it was after I decided to leave active-duty to go to graduate school in 2003 at a Different Light Bookstore in West Hollywood.

Conduct Unbecoming chronicled the history of gays in the military prior to Don't Ask, Don't Tell. And what I found especially fascinating were the stories of female Marines at Parris Island, SC in the early 1980s. This was a period of time dubbed the "Witch hunts" and as a lieutenant at Parris Island in 2001 to 2003, the impact of those times are still felt.

I remember receiving my orders to report to the headquarters of 6th Marine Corps District at Parris Island, SC in the fall of 2001. Everyone at the III Marine Expeditionary Force Public Affairs Office wanted to know where I was going and the instant I told some of the other Marines they warned me to be careful of 4th Battalion and "those" women. It sure was nice of those Marines to try to protect me from "those women."

When the Witch hunts of the early 80s were over, the Marine Corps official discharged approximately 23 women for homosexual conduct. In reality, many women, especially staff non-commissioned officer and officers, were forced to resign and their numbers are not reflected in the "23." When all was said and done, the casualties of this "hunt" numbered closer to 65. The most disturbing thing about this time period was that service members were actually being placed in military prison for violating article 133, Conduct Unbecoming.

So, when I first drove onto the Island in my tiny green Honda Civic, I was petrified. I didn't want to be another casualty of a witch hunt. I just wanted to be a good Marine officer, take care of my Marines and get the job done.

Here is a statement of fact:

While women comprise 15% of military personnel, they account for 30% of discharges under “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”

No comments: